The Cliff Notes Version
David is a strategic advisor, communicator, leader and guide. He's had the privilege of riding shotgun with John Maxwell for 19 years serving as an inner circle member, running a significant portion of John's business interests and most recently served as President of The John Maxwell Company. Today David advises leaders on growing their organizations as well as guiding them to live lives of purpose, courage and intentionality. He does this by advising and guiding people through:
- Strategy & Growth Consulting
- 2-day LifePlan Process
- Executive / Leadership / Life Coaching
He lives outside of Atlanta with his wife Lori of 20+ years and his two teenage children. Besides his passion to help people and organizations reach their full potential, he loves creating experiences and memories with family and friends.
David's Story in His Own Words
I'm a blessed man. I grew up in a loving family. I was taught to work hard, have a positive attitude and to always give my best. After graduating from Liberty University, I married my high school sweetheart and was excited to dive headlong into my career. I had a passion for business and a heart for ministry. At the age of 23 I had an open-door opportunity that I could never have dreamed of to move to Atlanta to work with INJOY and John Maxwell. I put my head down and went to work, hard! The organization was blessed with much growth, and I was given more and more opportunities to lead. In 2001 I listened to an audio lesson by Todd Duncan called "An Annual Review with You". Between Christmas & New Years of that year, I took a full 8 hour day to review my past year and plan for the year ahead. As I used "An Annual Review with You" as a guide tool, I realized that it was predicated on having a life plan. I didn't have one at the time, and so I used part of that day to create my first version of my life plan. The aha for me that day was that I previously had goals in only 2 areas of my life: career & financial. After going through a life plan exercise, I realized there were actually 10 areas in my life that were of vital importance to me that I wanted to be intentional in. This exercise helped me move from being goal oriented to being growth oriented. My life plan has guided me toward living a life of intentionality for the past 16 years.
In 2004 John Maxwell invited me from being an employee in his organization into his inner circle of key leaders. He also began to mentor me in life and leadership. As part of John's inner circle, I was exposed to other leaders, experiences and John's one-on-one mentoring. The growth I experienced was off the charts. I was given innumerable opportunities to lead including running the marketing, sales, programming and client experience of all of the live events, launching and running the international business and then the corporate business (Maximum Impact), to rebranding and running Leadercast and most recently leading The John Maxwell Company. I am forever grateful for the growth and opportunities I've experienced from being able to ride shotgun with John Maxwell for nearly 2 decades.
As I approached “halftime”, I sensed a new calling and purpose for my life. I realized that I exist to guide people to live lives of purpose, courage and intentionality. I’m blessed to fulfill this purpose by serving as a strategic advisor to leaders as they grow their organizations, develop their teams and build their culture. I also work with individuals helping them gain perspective on their life, discover their unique purpose and create a strategic operating plan for their lives through an intensive 2-day process called LifePlan.
On the personal front these days, I love spending time with my family maximizing the moments we have together and creating memorable experiences. I’m also passionate about and focused on locking arms with other men on the journey and initiating environments that foster authentic community.
Who am I?
Ways that I Serve:
- Strategist - I'm a growth and idea guy who develops strategies to grow your revenue, WOW your clients, develop your leaders and improve your culture.
- Guide - I guide people in a proven and behaviorally sound LifePlan process developed to help you discover your unique design, clarify your mission, and create a strategic operating plan for every aspect of your life.
- Coach - I'm a coach who helps you clarify what you want out of life and then helps you discover how to achieve it.
- Event Designer - I love the impact of events and I've lead, designed, produced and created top tier events such as Exchange, Live2Lead and Leadercast.
- Communicator - Besides speaking at events in the US I've had the privilege of speaking at 20 international leadership conferences for EQUIP over the past 10 years.
- Facilitator - I facilitate leadership retreats, creative brainstorming meetings and conversations among senior level leaders.
- Leader - I love to lead - people, ideas, new initiatives, small groups, movements. If it grabs my heart I'm ready to jump in full force and lead.
- Community Initiator - I'm passionate about initiating and organizing environments for men to come together to be their true self, to take off the mask and set the armor aside in order to authentically connect. My favorite environment for this is in the mountains, around a fire pit and may or may not include a cigar and an adult beverage.
So what do I love to do when I take off my professional cape?
- Travel with my wife and kids... in a pack or one-on-one... it doesn't matter, I love it all!
- Reading - I'm a personal growth junky. Favorite authors include John Maxwell (of course), John Ortberg, Pat Lencioni, Andy Stanley, David McCullough, Donald Miller and many, many more.
- Cheering for my Michigan State Spartans... Go Green! Go White!
- Exercise - spin class, weights, rowing, stairmaster, running... it doesn't matter as long as I'm dripping with sweat when I'm done.
- Grilling... I'm a Big Green Egg guy... food just tastes better when it comes off the Egg.
- Time in the North GA Mountains - Give me my hiking boots, journal, Eno, a great book and a couple of power bars and I'm set for the day.
- Serving - whether it's serving on the parking team at my church, leading men's small groups or teaching international leadership conferences with EQUIP, ministry makes me come alive.
- Conversation - whether it's around a fire pit or over a meal, I love teeing up several intentional questions with people that are willing to be authentic.